Meditation is the practice of trying to achieve mental clarity and an emotionally calm state by focusing your mind on something for a period of time, either in silence or with the aid of chanting. It is often used as part of the path towards enlightenment and self realisation. It has been practiced since 1500 BC in various religious traditions, and its earliest records come from the Hindu traditions of Vedantism. Below is a list of benefits, a basic guide on how to meditate, a few tips, and some quotes.
Benefits of Meditation
There are numerous benefits of meditation as listed below:
1) Reduces Stress
2) Controls Anxiety
3) Promotes Emotional Health
4) Enhances Self-Awareness
5) Lengthens Attention Span
6) May Reduce Age-Related Memory Loss
7) Can Generate Kindness
8) May Help Fight Addictions
9) Improves sleep
10) Helps control pain
11) Can decrease blood pressure
12) You can meditate anywhere
How to Meditate
1) Find a quiet, safe space where you will not be disturbed.
2) Get yourself comfortable, and prepare to sit still for a short while.
3) Set a time limit. For beginners, start with 5-10 minutes. As you get more experienced you can increase the time.
4) Close your eyes. Some people put their hands together in the prayer position, or relax them at their side (whatever is most comfortable for you).
5) Begin to focus on your breath. Where can you feel it? Your nose? Your chest? Your belly? Keep attention on the inhale and exhale.
6) Your mind may start to wander and you may get lost in your thoughts. This is quite normal and expected.
7) Try to remain detached from your thoughts and observe them nonjudgmentally.
8) Keep returning to your breath and the sensations of your body to remain grounded.
9) When the time is up, or you feel ready, gently open your eyes, and reorient yourself to your surroundings.
10) Take note of how your body feels, and notice your thoughts and emotions.
1) Meditate early in the morning at the start of your day.
2) Listen to relaxing, ambient music, or just enjoy the silence.
3) To begin with, just try a few minutes. As you progress, you can increase the time of each session.
4) You are not meditating to solve all your problems, rather, you are here to find inner peace and clarity of mind as you focus on the present moment.
“God is whispering in your heart, in the whole existence, just tune your ears.” ~ Amit Ray
“When you are angry, close your eyes, you will regain your inner peace.” ~ Lailah Gifty Akita
“Meditation is a vital practice to access conscious contact with your highest self.” ~ Wayne Dyer
“Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” ~ Thich Nhat Hahn
“To understand the immeasurable, the mind must be extraordinarily quiet, still.” ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
“Your goal is not to battle with the mind, but to witness the mind.” ~ Swami Muktananda
For additional help with anxiety and stress management:
- Beat Anxiety (PDF booklet: facts, statistics, strategies, quotes, recommended resources, HD desktop wallpaper, and a relaxing video): http://luxbellator.com/primus-animo/
- Inspirational/motivational quotes: https://www.instagram.com/mindovermatterscott/