Slaughterhouses have no place in the 21st century; they are barbaric, unnecessary, cause suffering to both animals and humans, and the killing of countless lives who wanted to live and be free.
- Mental health problems –  http://www.mercyforanimals.org/slaughterhouse-workers-have-ptsd-from-killing  https://www.texasobserver.org/ptsd-in-the-slaughterhouse/
- Amputations – https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/05/amputations-serious-injuries-us-meat-industry-plant
- Slaughterhouse workers are more likely to be violent http://www.news.com.au/national/slaughterhouse-workers-are-more-likely-to-be-violent-study-shows/news-story/f16165f66f38eb04a289eb8bd7f7f273
- Slaughterhouses and increased crime rates  http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1086026609338164  https://scholars.opb.msu.edu/en/publications/slaughterhouses-and-increased-crime-rates-an-empirical-analysis-o-3
- Psychological damage of slaughterhouse work –  http://www.ptsdjournal.com/posts/the-psychological-damage-of-slaughterhouse-work/  http://vetdergi.kafkas.edu.tr/extdocs/2012_2/319-322.pdf
- Hearing damage – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4948736/
- Other – “Various occupational hazards were identified among the abattoir workers during the survey. Majority of the workers had sustained injuries from different equipment at work, as well as musculoskeletal problems such as pain in the upper limbs, neck, and back. The injuries could be attributed to the neglected personal protective equipment (PPE) and lifting heavy load beyond their capacity. Moreover, skin problem caused by the chemical and the infectious agent was found in some of the workers. More so, dust and bioaerosol exposure were also among the recognized hazards causing respiratory and other chest problems. Furthermore, there was NIHL among the workers due to noise exposure at work. The NIHL might be associated with the failure of the workers to use PPE such as a face mask and earmuffs. Based on these findings, it was concluded that the major occupational hazards encountered by the workers in the study area where physical, chemical, biological, psychosocial, musculoskeletal, and ergonomics hazards. Therefore, the use of PPE and other preventive measures should be strongly encouraged.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4948736/
Halal and Kosher
Halal is meat that is prepared as prescribed by Muslim law. According to this article, halal proposes the following 4 requirements:
- An animal should not be dead prior to slaughter
- A Muslim should perform slaughter
- Any flowing blood of the carcass should be completely drained
- Choice of modern and in vogue method has to be considered with caution and, it should be in line with Islamic principles
In this article it states: “FSA estimates suggest that 88% of animals in the UK killed by halal methods were stunned beforehand in a way that many Muslims find religiously acceptable.”
According to this website, “Kosher slaughter does not involve stunning. Kosher meat must be slaughtered in a particular way so as to be “fit and proper” for people of the Jewish faith to consume, and must not contain any blood. The animals must be killed by a rabbi specially trained in religious slaughterer. A sharp knife is used to cut the oesophagus, the trachea, carotid arteries and jugular veins in one action. Excessive pressure on the blade is forbidden. The animal is raised so blood flows out and this is then covered with dirt. Failure to do any of these acts correctly means the animal is considered unfit to eat.
From the animals perspective, halal and kosher are worse for animals, because kosher does not involve stunning, and halal doesn’t use stunning all the time.
How to help
- Online activism – Share this post. Watch, like, and share vegan documentaries like Dominion and Land of Hope and Glory.
- Plant-based diet – Cut meat out of you diet and switch to a plant-based one; there are many alternatives these days.
- Petitions – Keep an eye out for animal rights petitions, or ones that specifically address slaughterhouses. https://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-rights/
- Marches – There are marches around the world to close all slaughterhouses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_to_close_all_slaughterhouses
- Save vigils – Attend a save vigil: https://thesavemovement.org/
- Street activism – Join anonymous for the voiceless https://www.anonymousforthevoiceless.org/
- Peaceful direct action – Join your local direct action everywhere group https://www.directactioneverywhere.com/
- Antispeciesist activists shut down slaughterhouse by sitting on kill floor – https://www.plantbasednews.org/news/vegan-activists-shut-down-slaughterhouse-sitting-kill-floor
- Slaughterhouse forced to close – https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments/aymsib/pig_slaughterhouse_forced_to_close_due_to_falling/
- Activists shut down slaughterhouse for the day – https://www.facebook.com/111830106849525/photos/a.112342050131664/117718212927381/
- “People don’t want to work in abattoirs any more” – https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/19/christmas-crisis-kill-dinner-work-abattoir-industry-psychological-physical-damage
– Slaughterhouses should become a relic of the past, because they cause mental health problems, physical health problems, social problems, and the unnecessary taking of innocent lives.
– Don’t be the reason an animal had to die for your tastebuds; instead, be like this woman singing a pig to sleep in a slaughterhouse in Austria: https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments/93p7zm/activist_sings_pig_to_sleep_in_slaughterhouse/
“Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they’re only animals.” ~ Theodor W. Adorno
“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.” ~ Paul Mccartney
“Is a holocaust a massacre of human beings, or a massacre of innocent beings?” ~ Gary Yourofsky